Saturday, February 25, 2012

In Which I Am Accepted To Grad School



It is with great pleasure that I can announce my acceptance to Chatham University's Masters of Arts in Food Studies (MAFS) program. Hip hip!

Ever since I visited Chatham last year, their innovative, new MAFS program has been at the tippy top of my list. Schools like Boston University (which I visited in 2010) and New York University have older Food Studies programs, but Chatham is the first school to build their curriculum around the concept of holistic, sustainable food systems, with the goal of unleashing a new generation of holistic, sustainable food system advocates into the world.

Rather than attempting my own clumsy interpretation, I'll just copy Chatham's description of the program right here:

 The Masters of Arts in Food Studies emphasizes a holistic approach to food systems, from agriculture and food production to cuisines and consumption, providing intellectual and practical experience from field to table. Graduates gain analytical and experiential knowledge of global and local food systems. Academic courses provide a critical framework, emphasizing the ways people relate to food within a cultural and historical context. Analyses of global, environmental, and gender issues are centralized in the study of the food system as a cultural, economic, and geographic entity. The 388-acre Eden Hall Campus, with its organic gardens, apiaries, orchards, kitchen and root cellar, provides a working environment for engagement with the practice and pedagogy of sustainable agriculture and culinary arts.


In the more immediate future, I'm starting my internship at Clear Spring Creamery next Monday, March 5th. I'm leaving this Thursday, taking some detours to DC and Brightwood Vineyard and Farm (last year's internship - I apparently left my hat, among sundry other items) along the way. So check back soon for exciting dairy adventures! Moo.

No comments:

Post a Comment